Obesity is not a permanent condition. It is a health condition that can be treated effectively with diet, exercise, and other natural interventions. However, the fact is that very few people succeed in losing weight, and an even smaller number keep off the weight that they drop. A nine-year study of 278,000 British people, published in the American Journal of Public Health in 2015, revealed the following:
- 1 out of 210 obese men transition back to a healthy weight (losing enough weight to no longer be classified as obese) annually.
- 1 out of 124 obese women successfully return to a healthy weight status each year.
- Among those who lose 5% of their weight, the majority gain it back within two years.
Suffice it to say that losing weight and keeping it off is challenging. How do you drop the weight and not go through the painful and frustrating process of regaining it?
10 tips for lifelong weight loss
A national phone survey of people with a BMI of 25 or higher (i.e., medically categorized as overweight) found that successful weight management was typically achieved through four tactics that were not associated with weight loss:
- Standardizing your exercise regimen (rather than trying different routines, as can work to initially lose weight).
- Adopting a healthy diet with plenty of low-fat proteins.
- Considering the reasons that the weight management is important to you.
- Giving yourself treats or prizes for sticking with workouts and healthy diet plans.
Here are six other tips to help achieve lifelong weight loss:
- Stepping on the scale every other week so that you are keeping your fitness as a point of focus.
- Watching how much sleep you are getting, so that you do not experience higher junk-food cravings due to fatigue.
- Exploring various healthy options, looking for low-calorie foods that are as appealing as possible.
- Building a goal ladder, with lofty goals as well as simpler ones – placing one objective on each rung.
- Creating a “red flag” list of problematic habits (such as delaying grocery shopping and getting morning pastries) and taping it to your bathroom mirror.
- Logging everything that you consume (since research shows that keeping a food diary improves your ability to keep off extra pounds).
Do you want to achieve lifelong weight loss?
The first step is, of course, losing the weight. At Atlanta Medical Clinic, our program is monitored by our doctors and uses proprietary advanced weight and appetite support supplements to get your body into a sustainable fat-burning mode. Lose up to 30 pounds in 30 days.