Typically appearing in the legs and feet, varicose veins are bluish, bulging veins that can be seen just under the skin’s surface. Superficial varicose veins arise when veins become twisted and swollen, often with groups of overloaded capillaries around them.
This health issue is common. Varicose veins occur in about 12.2 million people in the United States, which amounts to 1 out of every 22 individuals (4.50%). Those numbers are much higher among women, especially as they age, with 2 in 5 women (41%) in their 50s experiencing varicose veins or related disorders.
Varicose vein treatment, which can include lifestyle adjustments and medical therapies, is used for personal aesthetics, to alleviate symptoms, and to avoid complications. When treating varicose veins in Atlanta, various lifestyle and medical options are available.
Painful varicose veins are a threat both to your health and quality of life. According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, key ways that you can adjust your lifestyle to alleviate pain and further development of abnormal veins include these actions:
- Stop wearing clothes that are tight around the legs, groin, and waist, since constrictive items can cause expansion of these veins.
- Set aside your high heels for any extended stretches. Shoes with lower heels improve the strength of the calves, making it easier for the blood to circulate properly.
- Lose weight if you are overweight, to reduce pressure on the veins and assist with blood flow.
- Regularly exercise to get your legs active and bolster their muscles.
- Take periodic breaks from sitting and standing. When you are sleeping, resting, or sitting, elevate your legs, keeping them above your heart as possible. Try not to cross your legs when you sit.
Additionally, you can use compression stockings to introduce a small amount of pressure to your legs. This pressure prevents the abnormal pooling of blood and relieves swelling that exacerbates painful varicose veins.
Beyond the above lifestyle changes, you may find that you need medical intervention as well for the results you need. The top minimally invasive and non-surgical approaches are:
- ClariVein®IC – This new, minimally invasive varicose vein treatment method relieves pain and brings about clinically verified outcomes through 360-degree dispersion of doctor-designated agents.
- Sclerotherapy – With this approach, practitioners introduce a sclerosant solution within varicose veins via a tiny needle, leading to the collapse and absorption of the vein into the body.
The Right Varicose Vein Treatment For You
Do you need help treating varicose veins? Numerous lifestyle changes can be effective, but sometimes medical care is necessary. At Atlanta Medical Clinic, our non-surgical vein treatments have improved the quality of life of many patients suffering from painful varicose veins and spider veins. Contact us today!