There are numerous reasons to reduce the amount of sugar we are consuming. A principal incentive for many to minimize sugar intake is weight loss. However, cutting sugar also cuts down on inflammation, which can cause pain and other health disorders. Some scientists believe the risk for cancer and diabetes increases significantly when large amounts of sugar are in a diet.
Specifically regarding weight-loss, everyone knows that sugar – whether from huge amounts of carbs or sweets – can be devastating to one’s dieting efforts. Several simple techniques can help with sugar reduction (1).
10 ways to reduce sugar for weight loss
- Make pasta sauce from scratch. When you order a pizza or prepare pasta with spaghetti sauce from the grocery store, you’re probably adding large amounts of sugar to your meal without realizing it. To make your own, chop up some tomatoes and simmer them with your favorite spices.
- Remove the chocolate dish. Hide chocolates or other candies from yourself. It’s easy to grab one every hour or two if they’re in plain view. Try the “out of sight, out of mind” approach.
- Switch to real fruit. Packaged products containing fruit often include additional sugars. Even juice is usually best replaced with the real, fresh fruit itself.
- Create DIY salad dressing. Salad dressings can be a disappointing trick we play on ourselves. When we eat a salad, we think we’re being healthy, but the dressing can greatly increase fat, salt and sugar. Make it yourself instead.
- Choose plain dairy. Yogurt and milk that have flavorings (such as fruit yogurt or chocolate milk) typically also come with large helpings of sugar. With yogurt, you can always mix your own fruit into the plain variety.
- Create homemade trail mix. Granola often includes a significant amount of sugar. Create your own, and ditch the excessive sweetness (2).
- Cut out cereal. If you are eating processed cereal in the morning, try switching to something else. If you use a restaurant for breakfast, also be aware that even seemingly healthy hot cereals may be loaded with additional sugar.
- Reduce refined grains. Always look for whole grains in bread and pasta, even when ordering out. Unfortunately, refined grains are sometimes the only option. Consider making a switch to restaurants that offer the whole-grain option.
Weight loss isn’t just about reducing sugars. It’s best achieved with a sophisticated approach that targets your health and figure from multiple angles which Atlanta Medical Clinic provides with our Weight Loss Programs. The Atlanta Medical Clinic is your expert guide. Get a free consultation now for real, lasting results.