Obesity is not a permanent condition. It is a health condition that can be treated effectively with diet, exercise, and other natural interventions. However, the fact is that very few people succeed in losing weight, and an even smaller number keep off the weight that they drop.
For many of us, this is the best time of the year. There are endless parties, presents, traveling, and lots of time with those we love. But there is a dark underbelly to the festivities, and if you’re not careful you could enter the new year feeling a little less “you.” Follow these pro tips for staying healthy during the holidays.
If you want to lose weight, simple switches to your day-to-day life can work wonders.
Many people struggle with losing weight. Others find that they are able to change their habits and drop pounds in a relatively short window. One of the secrets to success is quite simple: don’t overwhelm yourself. In other words, rather than thinking of weight loss as requiring an overhaul of your food choices and lifestyle habits, focus on one or two aspects of your daily routine that you can improve.
Here are some examples from people around the United States who have succeeded with weight loss.
The beginning of any new year is a great time to make weight loss and wellness goals, but many people don’t succeed with their efforts. The San Diego Union-Tribune spoke with clinical nutritionist Tara Coleman about how critical nutrition is to a healthy lifestyle, why many people fail to change their eating habits, and suggestions for upholding resolutions with breakfast and water.
- Per the Global Burden of Disease 2010 (an annual report created by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation), LBP causes more disability globally than any other condition.
- One out of every two American workers report pain in the lumbar region of the spine each year, according to a study from the Scandinavian Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine.
- More than 30 million US adults suffer from LBP each day, per a report from the New England Journal of Medicine.
Though many of us like the idea of getting in shape and achieving fat loss through exercise, it’s often difficult to summon the motivation to go to the gym. Between the membership fees and the gas to get there, working out can get expensive. Plus, the trips can be time-consuming, and if the gym is crowded, the experience can be stressful as well.
The good news is that there is an alternative: home exercises. Let’s look at the best ways to achieve physical fitness without the need for a gym membership.
(Note that we advise working with a medical weight loss clinic to protect your physical health and ensure optimal results. If you go it alone, try just one or two reps of each exercise, and gradually increase the quantity.)
Exercises to accomplish weight loss without leaving the house
- Bird dog – Get on your hands and knees, with your hands straight beneath your shoulders and your knees straight beneath your hips. Carefully stretch one of your legs out behind you, and stretch the same-side arm out in front. Both should be parallel to the floor. Repeat with the other side.
- Bridge – Lie flat, with your back against the floor and arms at each side. With your feet remaining on the ground, bend your knees and lift your hips, forming a straight diagonal line from your knees to your shoulders. Maintain the position for three seconds. Be mindful not to strain your neck.
- Plank crawl – This exercise is a popular choice for fat loss. However, it is strenuous, so don’t overdo it, and place your knees on the ground as needed. Get your body in line to do push-ups, with your arms extended straight to the floor. Bring one arm down so that the forearm rests on the ground, followed by the other. Raise each arm back up to the push-up stance, one at a time.
- Side plank hip drops – Hip drops are another great way to achieve weight loss from the comfort of your home. Get onto your side, but propping yourself up with your forearm while keeping your elbow straight beneath your shoulder. Your feet should remain on the ground. Push off with the forearm until the arm is fully extended. Maintain for three seconds.
Home exercises can be a fantastic way to lose weight and get healthy so that you can look and feel your best. At the Atlanta Medical Clinic, though, we find that fitness is best achieved through professional guidance and a multifaceted approach: medical, nutritional, and physical. Schedule a free consultation to discuss your options