Relax. With all the concerns and worries of modern life, that can be a challenging direction to follow. However, stress can have a major impact on the body, contributing to headaches and the excessive muscular tightness that is often a precursor to pain. In this sense, combating stress is a pain-relief treatment.
The neck is one area of the body that is most susceptible to a physical manifestation of stress. More broadly, the region that includes the head, neck, and shoulders is particularly vulnerable to stress-related pain.
The role of stress is not all bad because it is a clue for how to problem-solve neck pain. Stress management can be used to alleviate some of the discomfort. Let’s look at why pain and stress are so closely linked, and what you can do to manage stress.
Why managing stress is related to neck pain relief
The relationship between stress and pain has two primary foundations. First, while pain specialists do not usually see stress as a root cause of neck pain, it is believed to contribute to the frequency and severity of symptoms.
Second, pain is a matter of perception. When stress levels are high, pain can often feel more extreme. One real-world indication of that connection is the increase in neck pain patients during tax season seen at New York City’s Beth Israel Medical Center by its director of orthopedic and sports rehabilitation, Robert Gotlin, DO.
Steps you can take to reduce stress
Seeing the connection between stress and neck pain helps – but what can you do? Here are 4 simple methods:
- Watch what you eat. It is fundamental that your diet be healthier to lower stress. The most obvious way to start is by limiting anything with caffeine and sugar, since both ingredients can lead to sleep disorders and an overexcited mind. Smoking has similar characteristics, also getting in the way of the delivery of blood to your neck, making it more challenging for your body to recover.
- If you’re a student that is stressed with multiple deadlines then look into using essayhave service to help keep the homework at bay. It will mean you will relieve your neck even more as you won’t have to write as much.
- Get limber by stretching your neck. By removing the tightness, you will improve your range of motion to get back that flexibility that is core to proper health.
- This process for clearing the mind is recognized as a trusted way to curb anxiety and slow down the flow of thoughts.
- Let it out. You may feel hesitant to talk about your health issues. However, an effective way to mitigate stress is through support – whether from love ones or through an organized group. (Note that some support groups meet online.)
Achieving real and lasting neck pain relief
Managing stress is just one way to reduce chronic pain in your neck. Beyond what you can do to limit your stress, you may also benefit from a more comprehensive professional approach. You could opt for non-invasive treatment such as that offered by MySpine, for more information about how they could help visit their website https://myspinecc.com. Alternatively, at Atlanta Medical Clinic, we offer cutting-edge technology to address the underlying cause of your chronic neck pain. Get rid of your neck pain for good.